Friday, February 15, 2013

New Year's Rockin' Eve

We joined the biggest party of the year to celebrate New Year's Eve in Times Square.
It was something I've always wanted to do. 
And Scott puts up with my crazy tourist ideas. 
But, he will admit it was much more fun than he was expecting. 
We stood at the intersection of Broadway and 48th Street for seven straight hours. 
Whenever I walk past there now, I always think of this night. 
Pure craziness.

We had heard the nightmares. 
No food.
No drinks. 
No bathrooms.
Nonstop standing. 
Thankfully, our experience was a different story.
(Aside from the standing part).

We got off the subway around 4:30PM and waited for police to open another pin 
where people could stand. 
 NYPD pulled out all the safety stops for the event, 
checking everyone's bags and using metal detectors.
They happened to open the gates to a new pin right where we were standing.
They started searching everyone until this huge push of people charged in. 
We said "see ya" to the cops and somehow got past.  
 We had water, snacks, and all the nourishment we needed for the hours ahead.
Which proved crucial around hour number six. 

By 5:00, we settled into our spots and began the hourly countdown. 
By 6:00, I was sitting on the gross ground playing on the iPad. 
By 7:00, we had made friends with three British girls 
who had flown from London for New Year's Eve.
They were sassy and sarcastic, like every good Brit.
Just how we like em. 
We became fast friends. 
I ruined this picture. 
One of my New Year's resolutions is to stop taking open mouth photos.

There was also a group of college friends from a Tennessee university we befriended. 
We met a couple from Australia who were on the last leg of their honeymoon 
and wanted to celebrate NYE in style. 
One of my favorite things about these chaotic events 
continues to be the people we meet along the way. 

By 8:00, one of our British friends almost tackled a Dominos delivery man
 to get a medium cheese pizza for $25.00.
We got robbed but none of us thought twice. 
Thank you, Dominos, for turning hungry tourists into fast customers 
at such a weak moment. 

By 9:00, the performances had started near 45th Street. 
We couldn't see the stage but thankfully, we could hear the music. 
My girl Cassadee Pope, winner of The Voice Season 3, performed. 
Neon Trees, Carly Rae Jepsen, and T. Swift were favorites. 
By 10:00, something amazing happened.
I'll never forget when PSY sang "Gangnam Style."
Our new Korean friends erupted. 
They were thrilled. 
It was more fun watching them then anything else. 
 I wish you could see the videos we took but the pictures will have to suffice. 
They were great. 

By 11:00, we were on the final stretch. 
We were antsy, restless, and all kinds of slap happy. 
Did I mention, it was cold?
Cause it was. 
Scott wore a full ski mask for most of the night. 
Ya know, like the ones used to rob banks and convenient stores. 
He's a smooth criminal. 

With 20 seconds to go, the whole crowd counted down like you wouldn't believe. 
The ball dropped, confetti flew, and people puckered up to 
Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York".
Nothing says "Happy New Year" like smooching a stranger. 
Thankfully, Scott Maddux and I have history so he took my first kiss of the year. 

And with that, Ryan Seacrest was out. 
Jenny McCarthy's awkward herpes kiss was old news. 
And Scott and I took the subway home with ease. 

It was a New Year's Eve to remember. 
Here's to a bucket list kind of year. 

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...